“You have more control over your body than you think- you can control, manage, or completely avoid 60-70% of known chronic conditions with physical fitness, healthy nutrition, and mental balance.”Samir Becic – Internationally recognized fitness expert
How can people be more informed about the vital aspects of their health and general well-being?
Everybody knows that they should lead a healthy lifestyle, but many people are not sure what needs to be done in order to achieve this. Many people lack the knowledge needed to maintain a good quality of life. Furthermore, kids who lead an unhealthy lifestyle are far more likely to continue these habits into adulthood.
- On average, children spend more than 7.5 hours per day in front of a screen
- 28% of Americans, aged 6 and older, are physically inactive
- 360,000 Americans die every year from disease that are directly related to obesity and unhealthy lifestyles
- Typical American diets exceed the recommended intake levels or limits in four categories: calories from solid fats and added sugars; refined grains; sodium; and saturated fat
- 1/3 of Americans get nearly 50 percent of their calories from junk food and one in four Americans visit fast food restaurants daily
- More than 1/3 of American adults are not getting enough sleep on a regular basis
Dimensions of Wellness:
When most people think about being healthy, they tend to only think about how much exercise they get and what they are eating. However, truly leading a healthy lifestyle encompasses far more than that. Each of the seven aspects listed below contribute to the quality of life that you experience.
Why It Is Important
The word health can be defined as a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. There are many different aspects of health, and it is very important to focus on all of them, not just one or two. The main benefit of good health is being able to live a long and happy life. Furthermore, being healthy can help reduce stress and help to avoid chronic conditions and disease. In 2018, the United States spent roughly 3.5 trillion dollars on healthcare. Imagine how much this amount could be reduced if we all went the extra mile to maintain a healthy standard of living. It is also important to note that being healthy doesn’t have to control your life. We should all still be able to do and eat the things we want, but your general health should always be at the back of your mind.
Tips for Being Healthy
- Get enough sleep (recommended amount is 7-9 hours)
- Drink more water
- Maintain a regular exercise routine
- Spend more time doing the things that you enjoy
- Surround yourself with positive people
- Try meditation
- Don’t skip meals
- Focus on yourself
- a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity
Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.Thomas Jefferson – 3rd President of the United States
- “Importance of Being Healthy.” LIVESTRONG.COM, Leaf Group, www.livestrong.com/article/139910-importance-being-healthy/.h
- “University of California, Riverside.” Wellness, wellness.ucr.edu/seven_dimensions.html.
- Raymond, Joan. “Here’s Why Living Healthy Is the Best Investment You Can Make.” WebMD, WebMD, www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/features/importance-of-healthy-lifestyle#1.
- “12 Surprising Facts about United States Health Care.” Meritage Medical Network, 22 Dec. 2014, meritagemed.com/surprising-facts-united-states-health-care/.
- “Shocking American Health Statistics.” Health Fitness Revolution, 26 Oct. 2017, www.healthfitnessrevolution.com/shocking-american-health-statistics/.
- Ap. “The Bad Eating Habits That Are Killing the Most Americans.” CBS News, CBS Interactive, 8 Mar. 2017, www.cbsnews.com/news/bad-eating-habits-killing-americans-bacon-fat-sugar/.